Thursday, July 19, 2007

Cotton Candy

I love cotton candy. When I was putting this blog together and it was time to name it, my first thought was cotton candy. A lovely pastel confection perched on a white cone, the first taste of slightly cooked sugar and then it's gone, leaving a sweet taste on the tongue. These days it's hard to find it this way. Mostly it's in factory sealed bags sold at grocery stores, or smothered in plastic and hanging upside down at the county fair and, worst of all, in plastic tubs. But I'll eat it anyway, that's how much I love it.

I've always wanted a cotton candy machine. Every year my family asks me what I want for Christmas and I always tell them, "A cotton candy machine". Not one of those puny little toy versions they always sell at holiday time, but a real live cotton candy machine like you see at the fair every year spinning out those sugary webs as children watch, mouths open and, if I happen to be in the crowd, there is probably drool involved too.

Sometimes I fantasize about owning my own cotton candy machine. It's in my kitchen, always loaded with sugar and ready to spin out sugary happiness. I imagine my three grand-princesses, Hilary, Isabella, and Sophia running into my arms and asking, "Lovie, can we have cotton candy?" I always say, "Yes". I could rent myself out to parties to pay for the sugar that I will go through by the barrel, I'll make tons of money and my husband can retire at 60. I just know a cotton candy machine will be the best gift anyone could ever give me.

So, for the most part, this blog will be about things that are good and happy and hopefully, will leave just a taste of sweet behind for anyone who happens across it.

No comments: