Friday, September 14, 2007

I got a new serger.....

 

This picture shows the minimumamount of tools needed to figure out how to thread the thing. I decided not to photograph the bald spots on my scalp that I am now sporting. I should have gotten a little concerned when the book said you would need the included tweezers. Yep, I should'a but I didn't; I just waded in, ever the optimist when it comes to a machine and a book of instructions.

I've loved books of instructions since I was a little girl of 10 or so. My father had purchased a new swing set for my younger sister and me. Occupying the backyard was the contents of a very large box, a large tool chest, two excited children and a frazzled father. Things were going along as well as could be expected when you have this combination until the thing was almost complete and there were pieces left on the ground. Several pieces. Daddy was looking mystfied and ready to get out his hot glue gun and just glue the stuff somewhereThat man loved his hot glue gun. I still hang Christmas ornaments on my tree that he repaired with huge globs of yellowish hot glue gun guts.

All this time, I had been regarding the instruction book with curiousity. Why was it in the box if it wasn't useful? Daddy hadn't even looked at it. As my father went looking for the glue gun and long extention cord, I began reading the instructions and looking at the pictures. When he returned armed and dangerous, I pointed out something I had just read and the accompanying diagram. Daddy looked at it, looked at me, ruffled my hair, and said I was one sharp cookie. I, of course, just about busted my buttons. I had figured something out that had helped my father!

Just about everytime I pick up a book of instructions, I remember this scene. It's so reassuring. It wasn't so helpful when it came to threading this dang serger tho. Two hours into the job and I finally had it. Ever the glutton for punishment, I unthreaded the thing and did it again. A couple of accidental unthreadings and now I think I can do it in under an hour. In addtion to the tweezers, I added my magnifying glass , a headlamp for extra light and the diet coke for energy and stamina.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HI Lovie, I am so sorry that it has taken me forever to get back to you Here is my address, Kim King 3272 Middlesax rd Long grove Il 60047 Im so excited and I love your blog, Hugs Kim