Monday, October 1, 2007

From Croatia with Love

 

I recently signed up for a swap over at Create A Connection (link at right). The theme for the swap was "My Favorite Things". It was a lot of fun putting together a package containing some of my favorite things. But, contrary to the addage "It is better to give than to receive", it was even more fun to receive a package of someone else's faves.

My swap partner was a young woman from Croatia. I was so excited about that as I know next to nothing about that country and was anxious to learn from an actual citizen of that country. There was quite an age gap. In fact, she is the same age as my youngest daughter. But that was o.k. because my youngest likes to send me packages and they are always wonderful. So was the one I received from my partner.

Because she was born on the 7th of the month, she chose 7 of her favorite things to send me. My photograph shows some of them. There was a poem she copied and illustrated by her favorite poet Edgar Allen Poe, a sweet drawing of an angel that she also did, lovely rose soap, a gorgeous photo of a rose from her father's garden, a package of tea, a journal covered in a sumptious purple suede and the last thing of all gave me a such a laugh. It was a poster of Goran Visnjic-he is the hunky actor who plays Dr. Kovitch on E.R. I had mentioned in an email that the only person I was familiar with from her country was this actor. I went on to say I thought he was drop-dead handsome. So she got a copy of this poster for me. I promptly framed it and it now has a place of honor in my sewing/studio room.I can't wait for my husband and daughters to notice it. They will think this old gal is off her rocker.

An unexpected thing about this swap for me was that even tho we are a generation and miles and miles apart, some of her favorite things are things I enjoy too. It truly is a small world. Good job Vedranna!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Jenna Z said...

Hi Lovie! Thanks for signing up for my 5-A-Day swap at Create a Connection. Could you please email me at beastbunny@hotmail.com with your address. When I assign partners next week, it will make it easier to get the information out ASAP!
Thanks!
-Jenna

Vedrana M. said...

this is so cool :) i feel wonderful that you like my favourite things! xoxo

Anonymous said...

You did a fantastic job with this photo. My younger sis is soooo talented!! Big Sis

Tammy said...

I'm glad you had fun with this swap! :) Sounds like Vedrana sent you some wonderful things!!!