Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Goin' campin'

Oh I just love to camp out! Real camping, as in a tent. We are lucky to live near the Great Smokey Mtn National Park, but unfortunatly don't get there as much as we would like. This is the perfect time of year to go too. The air is full of the scents and sounds of Autumn. I love to just sit by the campfire and listen to the acorns as they fall from the trees, picturing the squirrels bustling about packing their dens full with nature's offerings. I love hiking during the day and coming back into camp to enjoy a steak dinner and bottle of wine with my hubby. We usually sit with our feet propped on the fire ring and just talk. Mostly the talk is about the kids and grandkids and how we need to camp more often. In the background you can hear the murmurings of other people doing the same thing you are. Even tho you are in a campground (tents only) it is very quiet. I love the crisp chilly air and climbing into my sleeping bag and just listening to the breezes blowing through the trees, and smelling the smell of campfires. I imagine all the people who came here hundreds of years ago and try to put myself in their place as they did this everynight for many nights as they explored and settled these beautiful mountains. I always wish we could stay just one more night.

1 comment:

Gannet Girl said...

I love it, too and yes, we should do it more often!