Monday, December 17, 2007

For the past several days

 

 

 

I have been obsessed with making this doll for my 5 year old granddaughter Hilary. She has every toy that was ever made and she may never play with this one, but at least she will have a doll made by her grandmother. She has a molded head and is made from cotton knit and stuffed with lamb's wool, which makes her warm and cuddly. Her hair is wool also and remembering my Raggedy Anne doll, I sewed a small pink heart to her chest.

The plan was to make the doll and dress her and be done with it. I should have known better. After dressing her, I decided she needed a Christmas dress which is the one she is now wearing. It has vintage angels ad snowmen dancing across it. I topped this with a crisp white pinafore. Then I decided she had to have underwear, so I made panties and an undershirt. I found the little black felt shoes in my stash, so that meant I needed to make socks too. Then I decided she needed a corduroy jumper, a turtleneck to wear with it, matching socks, and an apron to wear when she is helping Hilary in the kitchen. All this I stuffed in the little cardboard suitcase you can sort of see in the right-hand corner of the pictures.

She was such a good doll while I was creating her that I felt she should have a little Christmas too. So I made her a pair of lovely periwinkle wool boots (shh! don't tell her that is what is in the package she is holding!). And what's Christmas if a girl doesn't find a new doll in her stocking right?


At this point I had to make myself stop. Sheesh! I need a 12 step program for crafters. I can stop anytime I want. Really I can... Do you think she needs a warm winter coat and handknit cap? Oh wait, I stopped didn't I?
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

G. B. Miller said...

What an awesome doll and what an awesome story teller you are. I think she really does need that knitted cap and winter coat, however. Surely you can stop after that, don't you think? Maybe....

Big sis