Sunday, December 2, 2007

The good stuff

 

 

 

Having collected Christmas ornaments for 30 or more years, I have amassed quite a collection of glitter and glass. Most of them I can remember where I was when I purchased it the reason I chose it. I have one box of ornaments packed more carefully than the others. No, these are not the most expensive in my collection. These are the ones made by children. Bits of fabric, paper, glitter, and glue put together at the kitchen table by three little blonde girls as they put their heart and soul into their work. Each effort was hung on the tree as its creator looked on with pride and a happy, glowing face.

Now that everyone has left home, decorating the tree is a one-woman-show once the husband gets the lights on. As I take out the ornaments made by the girls, I hang them high on the tree where they will be safest. As I look at them the smell of Elmer's glue, the sight of tongues slightly stuck out in concentration, and the sounds of happy voices all come back to me. What was that? I swear I felt a tug on my apron as a proud and happy artist got my attention to show me what she had made.

As the girls grew up and saw me hang these relics on the tree they would groan and ask why I had to put that junk on the tree every year. I think they are about to answer that question themselves now that they have children. It's because it is the good stuff.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey you thats a kenny chesney song the good stuff =) B.