Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Wet Paint

 

Here is my Hoosier cabinet with a frest coat of ivory/white paint. It looks so much better than before! It was just the original finish from the 3o's but it was aligatored and cracked all over. Very dull and blah looking. It had been this way since my aunt gave it to me 20 years ago.

My husband nearly threw a fit when he found out I was going to paint it. "I can't believe you are putting paint on that! It will decrease the re-sell value!' What re-sell value I ask? I'm not SELLING it, I'm living with it and I am TIRED of that old finish! We've looked at it that way for 20 years. Besides, it's MINE! What is it with men and paint I want to know? Natural wood colors seem to be the HOLY OF HOLIES to them. Some things just need a coat of paint I say. The corner where this is was drab, dark, and boring. Now it is bright, open, and cheerful. My husband says it is ugly. I say it is lovely. He enjoyed his way for 20 years. Now I will enjoy it my way for the next 20 (Lord willing). Don't the Christmas decorations bring it out? I just love this corner now.

At my house there is a standing question/joke. It goes like this: "Mom, can I have this when you die?" I sort of take it as a compliment in a macabre way. Up until now I had never heard that question in regard to this particular piece of furniture. So far today after seeing pics of my updated Hoosier, I heard it once. And no, girls, I won't say who it was.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey sis! (Who do you think of when you hear "sis"?) LOL Anyway....love the hoosier and so glad you finally got YOUR way after 20 yrs. I bet it really did brighten up that corner. *G*

Mary-Catherine said...

In case you have forgotten...I DID stake my claim on this piece about two years ago after Brittainy hogged all the good stuff.

Anonymous said...

hey ya snooze ya lose..

Anonymous said...

Husband is RIGHT...you ruined it:-(