Saturday, November 24, 2007

Thanksgiving Day Was Great

 

This is a picture of the centerpiece I made for our table. Non-traditional in color, but it matched my china, which belonged to my mother. I also made gold-leaf acorn and leaf clusters to tuck into the napkins. The idea was in the Martha Stewart November issue. It was a little tedious, but I enjoyed every minute of it.

Our oldest daughter, her husband, and duaghter Sophia were here. It was Sophia's first Thanksgiving. She mostly slept through it when she wasn't being passed from grandparent, to aunt, to uncle, and back again. She is so cute and cuddly and smiles all the time. She is looking like her mother more and more. Whenever I would give her a bottle, she would stare at me with those blue eyes and it was eerie how much it looked like her mother's eyes whenever I fed her.

Our middle daughter, husband and daughter Hilary were also here. At 5, Hil is really into the holiday business and loves being with everyone. She provided entertainment just being a 5 year old who is full of herself. Since she lives close by and didn't have to travel, Brittainy did a lot of the cooking, for which I am grateful. She's a huge help when there is a big meal to cook.

Our oldest daughter's in-laws were also guests. They enjoyed being with all of us, but I think the real drawing card for them was getting to see Sophia. Her grandmother Judy held her during the entire meal while everyone else ate.

Of course, we had our youngest and her family missing since they are in Hawaii, but they are on a great adventure and that is how I tried to think about it whenever sadness tried to sneak into my thoughts. Maybe they will be here next year.

The food was great! I bought a free-range turkey, brined it according to a Martha Stewart recipe and it was outstanding. Everyone was oohing and aahing over, saying it was the best turkey they had ever eaten. It was very flavorful and juicy. The brining was very easy and then you cook it just as usual. It also made a very delicious gravy.

But boy oh boy-here's the best part! After Kelli's in-laws left, and everyone was sitting in a turkey-induced stupor, I slipped upstairs, got under the covers and took a nap. And when I came back down, guess what? My girls and my hubby had cleaned up the entire mess! Am I blessed or what?
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.