Tuesday, April 1, 2008

more scenes of home

 

 

 

 

Home; I love it so. Ask my girls and they will tell you what a homebody I am. I can stay home for days and be quite content. I love making things look pretty with flowers and plants and little arrangements here and there. I love the little blue grape hyacinths all nestled in their pot with the pewter bird keeping watch. It sits in a corner of the vanity in my downstairs bath.

The flowers in the cut glass punchbowl pack a different kind of punch I think. i love the colors. It is just 3 bunches of grocery store bouquets. 5 bucks each. So far they have lasted a week. The tulips are living a faster paced life I am afraid. Just 3 days ago they were just buds, now they are full-fledged gaudy gals all decked out in red and black. I'll tuck something else in there as soon as these girls wind up their show.

The pink thing that looks a little like one of those frou-frou things ladies used to put on rolls of toilet paper to, well disguise the toilet paper? That is the cake I made for my middle daughter's birthday today. It was so pretty! So very girly girl I think. I was at Michael's last week and came across a cake decorating book published by Martha Stewart and when I saw this cake, I knew I had to make it. So I bought 3 of the 6" pans that the recipe called for, stocked up on butter and eggs and went to work. i am not usually that great a cake baker, but this one turned out great-nice and level, all 3 layers. The Swiss Meriingue Buttercream was tricky and I almost lost faith that it would work, but yes! it did.The ruffle decorating technique was very quick and easy too. It was very impressive in the end i think.

We had a great time celebrating daughter B's birthday. Good food, a pitcher of Wild Plum Tea and lots and lots of laughter with the antics of the granddaughters and the dog thrown in. We never pass up an opportunity to laugh and act goofy. My favorite proverb says, "A mery heart doeth good like a medicine" That is so true.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

G. B. Miller said...

The cake is VERY pretty!! I bet it was delish also. I know the flowers were beautiful because I saw them for myself. :) Big Sis

Kristina Plaas said...

That cake looks too pretty to eat! Not that such things stopped anyone at your home ;-) What would we do without Martha Stewart???? I so enjoyed the visit yesterday..I hope it won't be too awfully long before I see you again.. BTW, I love your template background...where ever did you find it???? Can I steal???? My blog page looks so, well, uninspiring... {{{big hugs}}} K