Tuesday, June 17, 2008

silly us...

On summer evenings after the sun goes down and I've developed the habit of going out for a "sit" on my front porch swing. It's much cooler at this time and I love the quiet. Some evenings you can see flashed of lightening and thunder off in the distance as it grumbles its way across the sky. On cloud-free evenings, the starts look like diamonds on deep dark blue/black velvet. So pretty.

As I sat and enjoyed my time outside last night, I remembered a funny memory involving me, my oldest daughter and my youngest. The middle daughter had married and left home. Every night late we would meet in the kitchen for some kind of midnight snack and then head to the porch. The MOTH was already in bed, so we felt oh-so-brave even being out there in the first place. We would swing and rock in the rockers goofing off and talking about just whatever. And then suddenly, one of us would say, "What was that?! Did you see that/hear that?!" Total silence would fall as we each imagined some scarey SOMETHING lurking at the edge of the woods, ready to rush our front porch and carry us away. Ummph, fat chance of getting this particular 3 females. We all would jump up, squeeling and nearly knock each other down trying to get to the front door first. Motherly love never even entered my mind at those times, I just wanted IN. Once safe on the other side of the locked door, we would ponder what must be out there, then laugh at our goofy antics of trying to get inside first vowing never to do THAT again. Fast forward to the next night, same 3 females, same old ending. Silly, silly us.

7 comments:

G. B. Miller said...

So funny!! What a great memory!

Anonymous said...

Gluttons for punishment, eh? ;) What a great memory!

Mary-Catherine said...

Ahh I had forgotten about that! remember when we heard the computer making that noise and we thought it was somebody ringing the bell outside the front door? we even had the Sheriff outside looking with a flashlight! Lordy!

Anonymous said...

i was ther for that one ! I think we made william turn around and come back to the house from johnson city! =) B.

Kelly said...

Hi Miford Pal!!
I have really enjoyed your blog!
I would like to invite you to visit mine! I have added you to my list of "Kindred Spirits" -blogs I visit. Hope that is okay?
Blessings~ Kelly
a*k*a* KRamsey on the Mitford BB

Anonymous said...

i remember the time the three of us were swinging at night and a car ran off the road and scared us. we all jumped out of the swing and headed for the front door and ran into the glass. mary got left behind on the porch.

Pink Princess said...

love reading your blog!!

funny and interesting too.

Hugs from Marian/aka
Mitford's Dutchy3