Monday, August 6, 2007

Blackberry Cobbler

Aren't these beautiful? They were picked for me by my husband from a berry thicket in our backyard. Such a sweetie. He knows I love blackberries and he spent several sweaty, thorny hours picking these for me. Of course, I had to make a cobbler using my favorite recipe. A sure way to get my kids over here is to call them up and tell them I am making a cobbler. Especially my son-in-law. He loves my cobbler.

You can also use frozen berries for this recipe if the cobbler craving hits you in the dead of winter.

1/2 c. butter, melted 1/2 c. butter

1 c. sugar 1/3 c. milk room temp.

1 c. water 2 c. blackberries

1-1/2 c. self-rising flour


Place melted butter in a 9"x9" baking dish. In a saucepan, heat sugar and water until sugar dissolves; set aside. In a separate bowl, cut flour and butter together until coarse crumbs form. Add milk and stir until dough leaves sides of bowl; roll out into a rectangle. Spread dough with berries, and roll up jelly roll-style. Cut into 1-1/2 inch slices. Place in pan on top of melted butter. Pour the sugar water over all. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

About the flour: I tried substituting plain flour with leavening added and it did not work. Tasted blech. White Lily is the very best self-rising flour but you may not be able to get that outside the South. Just use what you can find.

I also mix my dough in the food processor. Super quick and perfect every time.

Serve with ice cream.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: