Sunday, August 19, 2007

Book Review

 

After years of only having the three major networks on our television, my husband finally succumbed to the satelite t.v. ads and signed us up. Now we have hundreds of channels not worth watching. I must admit I do indulge a cooking show or two. My favorite by far is Paula Deen's Home Cooking. And not because of the food she dishes up. I think the woman must have a death wish the way she deep fries and butters everything she makes. I like her because she is just so darn entertaining. As she cooks she throws out a dash of southern humour or relates a story from her life and just generally chats it up with her audience. Sometimes it seems as tho she really forgets that the cameras are rolling.

So when I learned she had written a book about her life I really wanted to read it. I don't know what I expected but let me tell you she has had a life of ups and downs and she doesn't hold anything back. Which is the way to do it I guess. Get out there and tell your story before those who dislike you get the pleasure.

The only thing I didn't like about the book was that she chose to write it in her southern vernacular. If I am reading fiction I don't mind when an author employs this technique as it adds to character development. But in this case it just makes for awkward reading at times.

Unrelated to the book but on the topic of Paula Deen. Recently I was watching my new granddaughter while her mother ran errands. I was watching Paula's show and the baby was fussy. In an attempt to distract her I began mimicking Paula's VERY southern accent. Now I will be the first to tell you that I speak with a southern tongue myself. But I always imagined it to be soft and slightly genteel to the ear. As I was doing my Paula impression, my daughter arrives home and says, "Oh you're watching Paula Deen! All my friends think you sound just like her!" My kids definitly keep me humble.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paula should hire you...I know nothing about her, but now I want to read her book. Good PR work!! Sis

Anonymous said...

I was back in "thurdee minutts" ! :)

Anonymous said...

That's funny! :)