Wednesday, May 14, 2008

after a dry spell

 

 

I'm gettting all project-y again. Sometimes you just don't feel creative you know? Part of the problem was that sewing machine was out of commision. At , it is repaired and yesterday I sat down to get acquainted again. I didn't really have anything in mind. But a few weeks earlier, I had mixed up an herbal moth repellant to pack with my hand-knit woolies when I put them away til next winter. I needed some bags to put them in, so I grabbed up a large piece of linen and set to work. I love linen and never throw away a garment that is passed its usefullness if it is made of linen. (if y ou have any old linen you don't want, send it my way). This was an old blue shirt and I sort of thought a little design might look nice on it.I never use the built-in ornamental stitches that are on my machine but thought I would give them a try. One thing led to another and I just kept making pattterns on the fabric. I also made the design on the cream colored grosgrain ribbon. I think my favorite one is the one with the little scrap of pom-poms on it. They are roughly 5x7 in size and I put about 2 cups of potpourri in each. I think these would make good happies ( a little gift for no reason
The green stuff in the picture is Swiss Chard. I guess you could say it is a project of mine too. After all, I tend it everyday, checking for growth, bugs, and just waiting for the day that I could harvest some. Yesterday was the day. I like the assertive flavor it has, but truthfully, my favortie thing about Chard is the colors. They are so vivid and they keep their color when cooked. This was steamed with crisped proscuitto and walnuts and pstachio crusted tilapia was served on top. This is a very rich dish.

I am also knee deep in paint as I am painting my kitchen. The color that my cabinets have been for the last few years could only be discribed as "what was I thinking?".It is slowly disappearing under coats of a very pale dove gray/white. I can't wait to finish. I do not like to paint. The dog is enjoying it though. He stays right with me and is now sporting a large white dot on his nose. Wonder where he stuck that thing sniffing out my paint. One day I will be sitting in my kitchen and there on a cabinet door I will spot a dog-nose size smudge...
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Swiss Chard -- wow -- I'm impressed! One summer we grew...way too many zuchinni and a few sad heads of greens. Your garden baby is beautiful and definitely something to be proud of. Thanks for sharing!

XO,

Rosalyn-Sue

Yummers! said...

Belated Happy Birthday to you... Louie!! hee, hee. I love that tall, tall present made up of all those beautiful colored boxes.

I'd really like to know what kind of a mixture you put with your sweaters to keep away moths. I have such a lovely collection of Irish and Norwegian wool sweaters and I FEAR MOTHS!!!

One of my weekend projects is to change my closets from winter clothes to summer clothes and try everything on. Not a favorite project. But, I like your idea of saving the linen fabric. That will motivate me to get out of this chair and see what I've got that I can use for sewing.

Have a wonderful weekend!
Joni