Sunday, May 4, 2008

Friends from the past

So last night the MOTH and I had a big shindig to attend. It was a gala celebrating the 100th anniversary of the company he works for. Let me tell you, they pulled out all the stops when it came to feeding their 1500 employees. We dined on fillet mignon and loboster tail, fancy schmancy pastries and birthday cake all washed down with wonderful wine. This was followed by a concert by Martina McBride. I am not a fan of country music, but I managed to get through that part. o.k. Well, except for the "screamer" beside me. She was one of those who experience country music concerts in an almost spriitual way. She spent most of the concert eyes closed, swaying and mouthing all the songs. And then the spirit would move her and she would let out a scream. She was 2 feet away frm my right ear. The first time I jumped and hoped it was only because the star of the show had just come on stage. Uh uh. It went on all 1hour and 45 minutes of the show. I was just about ready to reach over, grab her ear and scream in it by the end. It was hours before my right ear quit ringing and I could hear in it again.

There was a bright spot in the evening for me though. I was anticipating running into someone who had played an important part in my life years ago. He was the doctor and family friend who had delivered my first child. Between him and my first child they made me what I had always wanted to be: a mom.

In anticipation of running into him at the celebration (he is married to one of the board memebers of the company) I had grabbed a picture of the new baby of the child he had delivered. I wanted to show him the 2nd generation. I don't have any recent pictures of this grandchild, so I took a personal favorite; in Februrary I had bought her some bunny ears and gotten several really cute pictures of her wearing them. So I printed that off and when I saw Dr. Workman, i introduced myself (he remembered me and he is 87!) and then proceeded to show him the picture. Of course, he didn't know who my Sophia was, but he seemeed genuinely pleased at the connection to him in a round about way. Full circle in way I guess.

6 comments:

Mary-Catherine said...

Aww mom, that's so cool!

G. B. Miller said...

uhhh...didn't the "MOTH" have something to do with you becoming a Mom? You only give credit to the child and the ob-gyn?? Sheeesh! Poor Jerry is probably wondering if he's just chopped liver..or something. :)

Big Sis

Lovie said...

Yikes! you're right, but I guess over the course of the 9 mths of aches and pains and discomfort, and then the grand slam event called "labor" that if I had remembered his part, I might of killed him. (ha ha ) Just trying to keep him alive....

G. B. Miller said...

You've got a point. ROFL here!

Kristina Plaas said...

Wow...lobster and filet...and all this for a company that makes baked beans! Ah, corporate America at it's best. Too bad they didn't ask you who they should hire for the evening's entertainment. I once got in on a big corporate party (I was a consultant for the co.)where Huey Louis provided the music...much more my style than Martina. But it sounds like you had a good time...it would have been better without the screamer. Hmmm...pastry...did you say pastry???? YUM-O!!!

When are we going to do lunch and yarn? Make it next week...I want you to meet the shop owner and she's gone this week :-)

Lovie said...

So, o.k. lets do lunch and yarn next week! I am ready. The only day out for me is Thursdays because I work at the quilt shop that day.

Do you have my email?