Tuesday, July 8, 2008

girfts from mother

 

 

nature that is. This is what I harvested today from my little garden beds. I get such a huge kick out of this. The flowers are Cosmos, green Zinnias, Snapdragons and orange Cosmos all freshly cut today. And the best part is they are just getting started! I'll have a fresh bouquet everyday til frost if I mind my p's and q's and keep everything watered. And the cucumbers and beans! I only have a short row of beans so I have to pick over a period of a few days to have a "mess" as they say down here to either grill or saute and sometimes cook them the southern way. Which is to put them in a pot with some onion, a little oil, maybe a little bacon, salt, pepper, and cook the life out of them all afternoon. Probably not the healthiest way but very good none the less. The cucumbers were marinated in a sweet,sour vinegar marinade. I love peeling cukes. Within seconds of removing that first bit of skin, the refreshing, melon like scent hits my nose and immediately gives me a buzz like no other veggie can. Soon I will have tomatoes. Right now the vines are laden with green lumpy orbs that grow just a little everyday. I love the way tomato vines smell too, but not as much as cucumbers. Whenever you touch one of the vines you get a peculiar sort of moist sensation and then the smell wafts up and tickles your nose as if teasing you with the promise of sweet, juicy, redbliss to come. Oh yes! I do love to grow stuff.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

G. B. Miller said...

Nothing better than fresh produce that you've grown yourself. Unless it's fresh produce that someone else grew and gave to you. LOL I'm thinking of my mother-in-law and her bountiful garden. :) Big Sis

Mary-Catherine said...

I always like receiving "girfts" :)