Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The more things change....

So today daughter B and granddaughter Hilary came to my house loaded down with peaches wanting a lesson in making peach butter. It had been years since I had performed this task, but it was fun and I remembered almost everything without having to do too much consulting of cookbooks. We ended the day with jars of glistening gold butter seasoned to perfection just waiting for its meet-up with some good bread and liberal spread of creamy butter.

At one point as we worked, I remembered something. I asked B if she remembered years ago in our Arkansas house making jam? "Oh yeah, I remember that." I think we both had forgotten it but the fragrance of the bubbling peaches triggered the memory for me.

On that particular day 20 years ago, I had the presence of mind to write down rather quickly on a sheet of onion skin paper our experience. I am going to re-write it here just as I jotted it down that day.

"June 10, 1988
Today Kelli and Brittainy and I made plum butter from plums gathered in Papa's orchard. Kelli and B washed the plums and picked out the wormy ones for me to take care of. Then we cooked them and put them through a sieve. When we were through, we had enough pulp to make butter and enough juice to make jelly!

Kelli and B helped to stir the butter as it cooked and that was a big help because it takes a very long time(about 45 minutes). As the butter cooked, we added 1 cup sugar for every cup of pulp, a dash or two of mace and two gratings of nutmeg. Next we poured the butter into sterilized jars and sealed them. Nana came to see us and took a jar home with her. It made 6 1/2 pint jars. For breakfast we will have toast with homemade plum butter. Next we plan to make raspberry jam."

Pretty staight forward, just the facts, but I sure am glad I wrote that down and stuck it in my recipe file. For some strange reason, I stick a lot of my writing in there. Or did. Before I began to blog. Now it's all pretty much here.

5 comments:

G. B. Miller said...

My mouth is watering!! I want some of that peach jam on a big ol' fluffy biscuit with a gob of butter. yum!!! Big Sis

Schotzy said...

Hi, Lovie, I just popped in from Jan karon's forum and I love your blog. it is so cute! I love blogging, it is a great way to create and to meet folks! Hope you'llmpop over to my site some time. See ya! Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Peach butter? That sounds GREAT! Did you slather it on homemade bread? I need to make some for the strawberry freezer jam I made awhile back... hmmm, I don't think I blogged about that! :) I'm gonna do that now. LOL

Kelly said...

Hi Lovie!
I have come by to say, YOU HAVE BEEN TAGGED! Please list on your BLOG "5 Things You Love the Most"! Once done, then "tag" 5 other blogs, Be sure & link them.
I think you will enjoy this, it is alot of fun! If needed, Check out my blog to see how I did mine,
Beautiful Blessings~Kelly Maria
a*k*a* KRamsey on Mitford BB

Kelly said...

Hi Lovie!
I have come by to say, YOU HAVE BEEN TAGGED! Please list on your BLOG "5 Things You Love the Most"! Once done, then "tag" 5 other blogs, Be sure & link them.
I think you will enjoy this, it is alot of fun! If needed, Check out my blog to see how I did mine,
Beautiful Blessings~Kelly Maria
a*k*a* KRamsey on Mitford BB