Sunday, July 13, 2008

the middle age woman and the yarn

 

See this pile of lovely sock yarn? My camera does not do the colors justice. They are bright, deep, and rich. And limited idition colors for what it's worth. Never again will Lorna's Laces produce these colors once they are sold out. Kind of a good sales gimmic I think. We sock knitters hit the web site the first of the month when the new colors are added and quickly snatch up enough for a pair of socks. What a tragedy if you miss that month's limited edition! That stuff pretty much flies off the shelf of the yarn shop.

Blueberry was June's color. It's beautiful blues, lavendars, purples, and rich almost black blue. I chose a lovely lace pattern for my socks. It has driven me crazy. I have ripped out, picked up dropped stitches, re-read directions until I can't stand that pattern anymore.

It has begun to remind me of the horrid story that was required reading in high school. The Old Man and the Sea by Earnest Hemmingway. Frankly, I've always thought he was over-rated. I hated, hated, hated anything I was ever required to read of his. This is coming froms someone who loves literature and always has a book going. But back to the issue at hand. I remember it was just the old man, the boat, and the sea. That's all there was. It's just me, the yarn, and the pattern.

I had the first sock within one inch of completion when things went horribly wrong. I studied the thing, I studied the pattern and the longer I looked the greater the horror grew. A dropped stitch 6" down that I somehow never saw,and poorly written directions. So I began to rip hoping to be able to fix things. Nope. I now have my lovely blueberry limited edition yarn rewound and am seriously considering burning the pattern as a cleansing ritual of sorts.

After perusing some other sock patterns I picked up July's limited edition "Fireworks" and cast on and so far I am knitting happily, no horrible story analogies coming to mind. Perhaps "Blueberry" will be used for something else. But then again, I may be completely over the blue stuff for a while.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

G. B. Miller said...

Those are some yummy looking colors. Poor Blueberry!! Relegated to the bottom of the yarn basket, perhaps destined to never warm anyone's tootsies during a nippy Tennessee mountain winter. Kind of sad to think about. Big Sis

justannie said...

beautiful yarns! i'm impressed that you can knit socks. i'm still on dog sweaters and dish cloths! do you buy your yarn from knitpicks?

Lovie said...

Justannie, I buy from all over. My local yarn shop, Knitpicks, Jimmy Beans, and lots more.