Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Really good recipe

 

As much as I love to cook, I don't really post that many recipes here. But this one is so good and so s1
imple that I had to share it. I got it out of the sept issue of MS Living. With summmer squash, fresh corn, and green onions, what's not to love rifht? The buttery taste of the squash and the sugar sweetness of the corn combine with everything else to make a absolutely delish pasta dish.

1 lb. of penne pasta or some other tube pasta
coarse salt and coarsely ground pepper
2 T olive oil
2 Zuchinni sliced 1/4" thick
1 yellow squash, sliced 1/4" thick
2 1/2 c. fresh corn kernals ( about 4 ears)
3 green onions, white and pale green part only
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 jalapeno pepper, minced (note I did not have a jalapeno, so I used crushed red pepper flakes and I think I prefer the pepper flakes)
1/2c chicken stock
4 T unsalted butter
Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

Cook pasta, drain and reserve 1 cooking water
Heat oil in large deep skillet and add squash, sauteing until light golden brown. Add corn, green onions, garlic, (or pepper flakes), chicken stock, and 2 T butter. Cook until corn is tender, about 5 min. Add pasta, remaining butter and enough water to keep moist. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until is well coated, Garnish with cheese.

I'm tellin' ya, you gotta try this. It will be one of my "go to" recipes whenever I don't know whaat to make for dinner.

We just got back from a really quick trip to NE Arkansas. That means lots of car knitting for me. I finished a pair of socks and my new sweater now has only a few rows to go! I can't wait to finsih it

While in AR, the MOTH and I did a little driving around to old familiar places. Or I should say we tried. Both of us spent most of our kidhoods and teen years within miles of each other but didn't meet til later. We drove to the sites of our homes. I say sites becasue both had been torn down and cotton planted over the very spots where we had fought with siblings, had parties, baked cookies, had boyfriend/girlfriends over, argued with parents, eaten countless holiday and birthday dinners and yet, it's as tho it never happened. Kinda weird. Where once people grew, cotton now claims the growing space.

The worse part was driving by the little house the MOTH and I re-did and spent so much dream time and labor making it into a warm, happy, inviting place. We didn't get to spend many years there, but the ones we had were filled with kids, Christmase, my first Thanksgiving dinner that I prepared, and meals with friends. It's obvious the current owners don't share the same feelings for this house that we did. What was once happy little yellow cottage is now a tumbled-down, almost derelict shell. Sigh...I guess not everyone has the same idea of dwelling place that I do. The next time I go to Arkansas, I'm staying away from the memories and hiding in the hotel where they can't find me.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

very nice! hahahahaha

G. B. Miller said...

So, sometimes it's true - you can't go home again. You will just have to visit those memories in your mind and your old photo albums.

And so the next blog entry WILL BE about the wonderful news you just received from daughter #1, right?? 8*)

Anonymous said...

this was tasty. But my squash went limp on me. :(

Kelli

Anonymous said...

this was tasty. But my squash went limp on me. :(

Kelli

Lisa Marie said...

lol,,looks just like a recipe I posted the other day...looks yummy...have a great day, lisa