Wednesday, October 1, 2008

days of perfection

Ah Autumn! I wish you could hear the sound of bliss in my voice. Only 11 days old, already I feel it slipping away only because I love it so. Is there anyone who doesn' at least like this season.I can't imagine not finding something to love in this season of brillian hues, celebrations, and transistion to a slower, calmer time of year.

I find myself wanting to savor every moment of every glorious day. The swirly clouds, the squawky ducks flying over in their miraculous "V" on their way to the duck Riviera, and the tentative early leaf falling. The leaves shimmer in the light breeze wanting to let go of their perch, but not quite willing to call it quits. Enough have fallen already that you just make out the browns and grays of the boulders that make up the bones of the ridge across from my house. Soon, the entire foundation will be exposed covered only here and there with evergreens.

Today is a real beauty and I have lots of house chores to do. I go about them indifferently until I promise myself a reward. "Do two more chores, then make a pot of tea and head outside for a while" I tell myself. It works, I pick up the pace and before you know it, my tea kettle is whistling and in minutes I am out the door to park myelf in the porch swing. Jasper, in his friendly, companionable way, stretches out on the floor at my feet.

Sitting there I start to get the itch to go camping. It is a favorite way of ours to enjoy this time of year. But we've packed so many house projects and so much fun already into the next several weeks, that I am worried it may not happen this year.
If all else fails, I just may set up the tent in the backyard for a night. Just one evening of sitting around a campfire may have to do this time around. I mean we could hike the ridge, cook steaks over the fire, sit up late around the fire and head for the house when nature called. Hmmm...I may have hit upon something here.

1 comment:

G. B. Miller said...

Surely you can work in one camping trip???

Ain't fall grand?!?! Can't wait to experience it from your porch swing next week...even with the big galoot hanging about. :0