Monday, January 28, 2008

2008 is My Year.

I turn 50 this year and because of that I am making it my year. I'm making a few changes and trying some new things. The big change? Once and for all I am losing the 40 pounds that have clung tenaciously to my body for the past several years. Each year it has been a little more but I am doing something about it this time.

I've chosen the low-fat way of getting rid of the lard. Plus, I am trying Alli, the only FDA approved OTC diet aid. It prevents your body from absorbing alll the fat you consume. We'll see. My big sis is doing Atkins and doing great with it (yeah!) but I love cooking and trying new things and all kinds of foods and know that I could never succeed with cutting out so many foods that you gotta say goodbye to on hat diet. For me, this diet is all about eating eveything I want, in small low-fat portions with lots of flavor added to replace the lower fat content. Tonight's dinner was so full of flavors. We had a tender roasted pork tenderloin topped with a fat-free blackberry wine sauce. Oh man! The taste! On the side was a quinoa salad filled with vegetables and finised with a low-fat lime vinegrette. Marvelous! It tasted so refreshing. We also had spinach sauteed in 1 T. walnut oil and finished with white balsamic vinegar. We washed it all down with a glass of white wine. The total fat was just under 18 fat grams. My tummy was smiling as big as my face was. With all of this I had to watch portion size to keep my fat grams under control. It wasn't hard to do with all that variety and flavor going on. Later, when I get snacky I have some fruit and some of those low-fat 100 calorie snacks in my stash to keep me happy.

As for trying new things, well, I am actually getting on a plane and flying somewhere! Here I am with a MAJOR fear of flying and what am I doing? Getting on a plane and flying 12 HOURS! To Hawaii, and the only reason for it is that I have a daughter there and a granddaughter who will be turning 1 in June. Thank the Lord for Xanac (or however you spell it) and Bloody Marys!

I am trying other new things too albeit not as drastic as the flying thing. Once I lose 10 pounds, I may actually go for a pedicure and manicure. I usually don't like such things-don't like people "fooling" with me. But I think I just may try it. At least once.

So here's to a year of getting rid of, trying new stuff, and making some changes!

3 comments:

Mommyswanson said...

Hi Cindy!!

I love your blog!! I too am thinking of giving Alli a try. I need to lose a few more pounds than you, I'd like to get down to my pre-kids weight so that would mean at least 50 pounds need to go. I send positive healthy eating & exercise vibes your way!!

Laura

Mitford's Magsmom

G. B. Miller said...

Alright!! It does sound like YOUR year!! 50 is gonna be a wonderful year.

Kathy said...

hi Cindy - just dropping in, as promised last week, to check out your blog. (I had to go searching for the thread again). It's really pretty and your descriptive writing is lovely. I'll be adding it to my bookmarks and I'll certainly drop in again.

All the best for 2008, specially the diet. I'm making a big push for more regular excercise, myself.

Peace,
Kathy (bluejeans in Mitford)