Monday, January 12, 2009

Max's quilt!


I am working on it! The original plan was a quilt with a hoot owl theme, but the more my daughter and I talked about it, the more we liked the idea of a scotty dog theme. For one thing, scotty dog accesories are really easy to find. Also, they are retro and in our family we have a soft spot for scotties as we had one when the kids were growing up.


So Friday while at work at the quilt shop, I picked my fabrics, which I really like-just basic, black, white, red, blue and a touch of a retro aqua-ish green. I've got all the scotties appliqued on and looking at them, i think they need a collar around their necks to break up all the black and to pick up the colors in the background fabric..Whatever I do,it needs to be quick so I can get this to the quilter this week.


Sewing on this I always think of Max and wonder what his little face will look like. Will he look like his sister, his mom, his dad, someone else? I remember when I was pregnant with my girls, it was always their faces that had me the most curious and looking at them for the first time after all the months of "knowing" them by their kicks and squirms, was the most indescribable joy. Little watery blue eyes trying so hard to look at me too as if to say, "Finally I get to see what you look like after alll these months of hearing your voice, and the rhythms of your body."


Being the first boy, he has a heavy responsibility. Having not had one of these in our family, we have no idea what to expect. It seems that the boys we females in the family remember the most are the horrid ones we knew in school or the bully cousin who was always making our lives miserable at family gatherings. But I don't think it has to be that way does it? In a family of women can we tame that naughty streak? Or then, again, maybe you shouldn't try. I think I had the world's best father but to hear his sisters talk at family reunions, he was one of those horrid boys. I kinda think my husband, who is very well behaved now, might have been one of those boys too. Maybe that is just part of their identity when they are young, and with a little admondisment through the years, the most horrid of boys grows up to be the best of fathers and husbands. Max, you've got a load on your shoulders, but I suspect all of us women in the family will be more than willing to cut you a little slack as you grow up.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the quilt!! LOVE IT. I can't wait to put him on it!
Kelli

jamiely78 said...

When I was pregnant with Bella, all I could think about was what her face would look like. It is such a magical moment when you look at each other for the first time. It's like your both going- "hey so that's what you look like."

I love the Scottie dog theme. Its very cute.

Jamie (Mitford BB)

G. B. Miller said...

I cant' remember my oldest having horrid moments. :) However, I'm sure his younger sister and his very young "aunts" might. You will have to let me know, if there are any "horrid" tales.

The quilt is going to be perfect for Max. Just 3 more weeks to go!!!

Shine said...

Love the quilt!< but I'm with you, I think a collar would look perfect! Also....about all these boy qualms.......having three of the rascals myslelf, I have to say, you girls are in for such a treat. I would love to have a dozen girls, but a dozen boys would be fine too! They are so much fun, and so funny. Not nearly as fussy as girls. Challenging in their own way, but not any harder. No doubt in my mind, you're in for a most pleasant surprise!