Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Taking a little break

from all the domesticity going on around here today. Cooking, cleaning, knitting, and washing. Sitting on the stove in a big blue granite pot is 2 gallons of vegetable soup soon to marry up with a pan of crispy cornbread. i love the fact that it makes so much. I put lots of it in the freeze for times when I don't want to cook or the MOTH needs a little snack. I'm thinking maybe I should take some with me to Virginia for the birthin'. That would be good to have after aday with a busy toddler and a newborn.

I am knitting so fast right now that when I quit my fingers twitch. I am almost finished with the socks/booties for Max. They are made from yarn left over from a pair of socks I knit for myself. Maybe we will model our look alike footwear after he gets here.

I made blueberry muffins from my wonderful
Eating Well cookbook last night. I've wanted a blueberry muffin for a while now. On Day One of my diet we happened by our daughter's house and she was making said muffins. From a cookbook by the Barefoot Contessa. Of course, it being Day One and all, I was as fired up as a new church convert and refused to eat one. But those little purple-speckled dudes have haunted me ever since. So I found a recipe in my cookbook and went to work. I got a little suspicious when I realized that the strusel for the top was put together with 1 T. of Canola oil. What self-respecting strusel is held together with a dab of veggie oil? Well, the diet kind, of course. Not to be discouraged, I added extra vanilla in the hopes it would make up for the lack of butter. Not really. The rest f the recipe was o.k. and after they were baked and sampled, I have to say that they won't be on the "keeper" list of recipes. Still, if you eat just the middle out of one, you kinda feel like you had a blueberry muffin.

Well, after 3 days, I have finally decided that the 3 loads of laundry lurking just beyond my peripheral vision as I sit in my living room is not going to fold itself. Sigh...guess I will just have to go and fold the hateful stuff. I guess Pollyanna would say, "Just be glad you have stuff to fold."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

bring enough soup to share! :)'
-Kelli

Shine said...

Max is lucky to have such an awesome "Lovie". Can't wait to see those cute booties. I tried some diet chocolate cupcakes today and they must have came from the same cookbook you used for your muffins:)

G. B. Miller said...

Can't wait to see a pic of Max wearing those booties.

Today has been the only day in my life that I wished I could knit. (Iced in with the MIL) =)

Anonymous said...

I just had to stop by. I saw the name of your blog on another blog, and it reminded me how much I love cotton candy. It is one of my very favorite going to the State fair treats. By the way if you can knit socks you are my hero. Rosesinwinter.blogspot.com TTFN

Bebe said...

Hi Lovie!
Just thought I'd come over and say hi! I hadn't forgotten about you. Don't you just love the Eating Well cookbook ~ they have an email newsletter with lots of good recipes (it is sent about once a week from the magazine site).
Hugs, Bebe :)